Château Lafite Rothschild

The first historical mention of the mythical Château Lafite dates back to the 16th century, where Lafite refers to a precise and well-defined medieval fief. The first vineyard was organized by the Ségur family in the following century, and the winery began to write the story of the myth that has accompanied Lafite wines for four centuries now.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the wines of the cellar were sold in London, as evidenced by the London Gazette of 1707, speaking of wine "sold in public auctions in the City of London, after being unloaded from foreign merchant ships seized by British privateers and from the ships of the Royal Navy ".
Jumping to the 20th century, with the two wars it represented a dark period for the winery, until, in the 1950s, we find Baron Elie at the head of the Château. He began an ambitious renovation plan for buildings and vineyards, which was carried out in the 70s by his nephew, Eric de Rothshild.
Today Château Lafite-Rothshild’s vineyards extend over an area of ​​112 hectares, mainly cultivated with cabernet sauvignon, merlot, petit verdot and cabernet franc. Traditional techniques are used between the rows, as well as in the cellar, where attention is paid to preserving the aromas and flavors in each bunch. The famous circular aging room, photographed several times and a vivid image for all Bordeaux enthusiasts, was built and designed by the architect Ricardo Bofill, and inaugurated in 1987.
From these walls comes the legendary Premier Cru Classé of Pauillac, the Grand Vin of Château Lafite-Rothshild, one of the greatest manifestations of what the Bordeaux terroir can express in the glass, a myth for all lovers of French reds. Its "younger brother" is the “Carruades de Lafite”, a blend with a younger but always satisfying profile.